Tuesday 2 August 2016

Zometa - Zoladronic Acid

Visits to see the oncologist are now three monthly. My latest one was on Wednesday just gone. Finally got in an hour passed my appointment time... He had me a bit worried as he didn't seem too enthusiastic and asked if I was in pain. I had had a bone scan and CT scan leading up to this appointment, so I was eagar to receive the results. It seemed that I am respomding well to the medication I am on (exemestane daily and a Zoladex hormone injection every 28 days plus a vitamin D tablet every 28 days) and it appears I have lots of 'cool' spots which apparently is a good thing. But they were a bit confused because it looked like I had more lesions in the bone but thought a plausible reason for this was that the bone is trying to heal itself. My calcium levels are slightly elevated which they don't understand so have been told no more vitamin D for me....something has also shown up on my lung but they don't believe it is related but will investigate it further. Hope it won't be an MRI. I hated the previous one and had to work really hard to keep myself calm and think nice thoughts and think of my beautiful family. But it was a damn freaky experience. How claustrophobic people handle it, I honestly don't know - they deserve a medal afterwards.

Anyhow, it was decided I should start my bone strengthening infusion that day. Off we marched to the ward, dragging my poor buddy who had just recently had surgery but whom was determined she was coming along (she is my note taker). They proceded to try and find a vein to hook the infusion into, and hey presto! Off we went! The infusion itself took 15 minutes followed by a flush through of saline for a further 7 minutes and then once they dismantled me from the IV, we were able to go. You may experience flu like symptoms I had been told...by 11.00pm that night, I had a throbbing headache, I was aching all over, I felt extremely sick and was freezing cold. I managed to stumble up to get some paracetamol but I got bugger all sleep that night, waking again at 3.00am with exactly the same symptoms so had to stay home. It continued all of Thursday but managed to sleep on and off during the day and still felt a bit crappy Friday morning so decided to stay home from work again. I did eventually come right about lunchtime thank goodness. 

I think it is still taking a bit out of me. I am aching quite a bit when I wasn't before, and very tired and appetite not up to its usual standard. (That won't last long I'm sure). I was in bed asleep last night by 7.00pm until 5.00am this morning. Absolutely unheard of for me!

Infusions will now take place up at Akld Hospital every 28 days. They have decided to tie in my hormone injection on the same day, which is more convenient. The symptoms are supposed to get better each time as well, such a relief.  Fingers crossed...

No comments:

Post a Comment