Wednesday 12 July 2017

Wedding anniversary

Today is our nineth wedding anniversary. In some ways it seems just like yesterday but a lot has happened in that time as well. There was a time or two where we almost didn't make it. When hubby chucked his job in four years ago, I was so filled with anger especially when he didn't seem too motivated looking for another job. But as the years have gone by and after me being diagnosed metastatic, and now recently with him being diagnosed with emphysema, a complete calm has come over me and I have finally come to terms with how it is. I am the income earner, he does the housework as well as the outside stuff and does most of the cooking and for us, it works. Each of us brings something to the table...no matter how small or insignificant it may seem to yourself. But to others, it can make all the difference.

But he is my rock. He isn't a person with a lot to say unless he is pissy eyed or with his mates but he always seems to know what to say to me when I am having a moment and I know how much he loves me. He never hides it and is very comfortable with telling me.

We had an amazing wedding...I loved every moment of it from when we woke up that morning to when we finally crashed out at some ungodly hour the next morning. The fun we had peeling taro, spuds and kumara and wrapping them up to put in the umu...making raw fish, squeezing a ton of lemons with my newly manicured false nails. I still wonder how on earth I didn't lose them in the raw fish! Having the marquee put up, setting it up, family coming around to help, the whole thing was just frigging awesome! I wanted to do it all over again cos I just loved it all so much!

Hubby and I have never really taken any time for ourselves. For me, it has always been about the girls, or us as a family - making wonderful childhood memories for the girls and spending as much time as possible together. And for that I am so glad because now they are at an age where they are off out doing stuff with mates, and so they should be. They are young adults and life is too short.

But it was lovely for hubby and I to go out for dinner on our own tonight. It was really important to me, to mark this special day together. I thought maybe we can just get takeaways, but this pressing thought kept coming into my mind, that we needed to go out and celebrate. It was just lovely...

Maybe that is the lift I have needed...but one thing is for sure. With being metastatic, I have realised that birthdays and anniversaries, Christmasses or any dates that have important meaning, need to be celebrated, or at the very least, recognised. Once the moment is over, it becomes a memory and as time goes by, becomes a precious memory.


Wednesday 12th July 2017 - 9.57pm

1 comment:

  1. Happy anniversary to you both! Glad you are feeling better and you are right - we must try to treasure these precious moments. love is the best medicine xxx

    ReplyDelete