Monday 20 March 2017

First anniversary...

Today is the first anniversary of our dearly loved cousin who passed away of metastatic breast cancer. She was my 'go to' person when I was first diagnosed with bc and she cried her heart out when I first told her it had metastised. I have had many questions that I have dearly wanted to ask her over this last year, and I often wish I had asked more questions even before I was diagnosed but always felt it was too intrusive. She was quite a private person but I know she would have willingly shared anything with me that I may have asked. And so I feel it is very fitting that on this day, I am here in Cobram with my sister and family, with our actual cousin, who was married for many years to this lovely little lady. We are all very close and my sister and brother in law miss out on a lot being so far away from us, and so it is lovely to be here to share this day together. Having said that, I do feel for my cousins who have been left behind at home.


We have been away on a road trip, going away in my brother in laws prized possession - a 1957 Ford Fairlane. We stayed overnight at a place called "Bright". What a wonderful night away...we went for dinner at this funny little restaurant called Thirteen Steps. Amazingly beautiful food. I had my ever first scallop and only because the others egged me on to try it. To my surprise I liked it! The whole trip was just very cool. It is so easy to forget all the trials and tribulations of home while being here. At home I am responsible for everything...here I don't need to worry and just revell in being with my family. I haven't spent a lot of time with my nieces but see them here and there and thats ok. I am in their world now where they have stuff to do.





Time is getting away and before you know it, it will be time for my cousin and I to fly home again. But some time is better than no time and we will go home with wonderful memories. I have been able to see for myself their beautiful home which they recently purchased and will make plans to come back soon, with the rest of my household this time.

Where Mrs S was a very private person, I am like an open book. I share my story with anyone and everyone and am always happy to answer questions. The more that people can learn about this disease and dispel myths, the better for all concerned. People are often too reluctant to discuss things which make them feel uncomfortable, regardless of what it is and I find that quite sad. Talking is a powerful tool but is one that a lot of people aren't comfortable using. Me, I can talk the hind leg off a horse. We all feel vulnerable at different times and shouldn't be scared or embarrassed to share it.


Monday 20th March 2017 - 4.15pm (Aussie time) 6.15pm (NZ time)



No comments:

Post a Comment