Thursday 8 June 2017

Dialysis unit tonight

As I sit here in the dialysis unit with my mum in law, and seeing her along with others here, hooked up to a machine circulating their blood to cleanse it, for up to four hours at a time, three times a week, it is yet another reminder how lucky I am.

My affliction does not keep me bogged down to one place for hours at a time. I can come and go at whatever time I want on whatever day I want for as long or as short a time as I like. My mother in law has recently started dialysis, three days a week, for four hours at a time. Tonight as I sit with her, her treatment started somewhere between 6.00 and 6.30pm, and will finish about 10.30pm. We will then have to wait for a taxi to pick us up to take us back to her place. So it will be well after 11.00pm before she gets home. How ridiculous is that...but this is what she needs to do to get better as she has been extremely unwell and tired for months now as the state of her kidneys have gotten to a point of no return. I have come to keep her company tonight as I know full well how boring hospitals can be. I am not able to do much these days, but this is one thing I can do and is certainly no hardship. I have brought my crocheting with me and my iPad so have plenty to keep me busy and time is going by quite quickly. It definitely is not dragging and I think mum is enjoying having some company, even if we don't talk all of the time.

Silly as it sounds, there are times when I don't mind having cancer as at this stage, it does not impact my life hugely - depending on my mood I guess you could say. As I sit here watching these people (very covertly), and seeing how tied they are to these machines - I am grateful to be me.

Mum is very chirpy and chatty - she looks so cute with the blankets tucked up to her chin. She is a feisty lady at times, has no bones about telling people exactly what she thinks but she has this other soft, gooey side to her. We are close, very close - my girls adore their nana and she adores them, she adores all of her grandchildren, regardless of how old they are. I love this woman dearly and at times it has been tough seeing her as unwell as she has been. I hope the benefits of doing dialysis start to kick in for her soon.


Thursday 8th June 2017 - 8.44pm

No comments:

Post a Comment