Tuesday 26 September 2017

Celebrations officially over

Well, recent celebrations have officially come to an end today as my sister and niece have left to fly back to Melbourne this evening...Our little house has been bulging with visitors and luggage but I wouldn't change it for anything! I hadn't seen my Melbourne family since my cousin and I went over there in March, and I think the last time they were here in NZ was February 2016 when they came over for their own daughters 21st in Hawkes Bay and where all the drama of hospital visits, diagnosis of being metastatic (advanced cancer, stage 4, terminal - other terminology) and at the very last minute actually losing one of my implants to an infection, all unfolded.

This has been an awesome surprise for my big girl and a chance for all of us to catch up and to meet my other nieces young man. (they did a bit of travelling around NZ before the party and left a few days after).They got to see whanau from out of town, whom they wouldn't normally get to see, as these people travelled to attend the 21st. Still, I go on about how wonderful this night was...what a bloody awesome celebration!

Saying goodbye this afternoon was a very quick affair as the shuttle driver turned up early and then it was pissing down with rain, and we are all full of colds so it was quick hugs and kisses all round, shoving them into their shuttle vehicle and us scuttling back inside out of the rain. My little house felt so empty, devoid of people and luggage and then reality set in and the realisation that they had gone hit me and I wanted to sob my heart out. I shed a few tears and left it at that. I watch the time now, wondering has their plane left the ground yet? No point texting...just a waiting game until they arrive back in Melbourne where my sister will make contact to let me know they have arrived safely.

Sisters sharing a laugh

Brother-in-law and nieces - 'speechtime'

Aunties, nieces and our newest family members, lovely young men chosen by our girls

Back to reality tomorrow with the return to work. So glad I took this time off as it was sorely needed (s'cuse the pun - 'sorely'). It has taken until this passed Sunday to come right, otherwise suffering from immense aches and tiredness. Interestingly enough, my sister who is four years older than I am and who does NOT have cancer, also suffers from aches - having trouble getting up in the morning, getting up after being on a mattress on the floor. So perhaps a part of what I am going through is also age related with a twist of cancer meds! While I have a head cold and do not feel in the least bit ready to return to work, it is probably the best thing I can do. I will start back on a short week and in all honesty, once I am there I will be good as gold, and enjoying seeing everyone and catching up.

So back to normality now with just a few twigs - having to put things away in their proper place...Organising the 21st is over with, until the next one in another 2.5 years away. The focus will be on Christmas now, and all the public holidays allowing a few long weekends for some downtime. Between now and then a few projects coming up (hopefully) so watch this space. I will need to look at managing my tiredness a bit more as I was being quite social prior to the birthday which is wonderful but need to space it out a bit more. And then 'hello!' Another new year! Should I be happy about it, that I am making it to another one, or should I be nervous, because it is inevitably shortening the time I have left...best not to think like that...just take each day as it comes and enjoy it.

LOVE YOU MY WHANAU, THANK YOU FOR JOINING IN THE CELEBRATIONS AND HOPE TO SEE YOU SOON xxxx

Tuesday 26th September 2017 - 7.22pm


No comments:

Post a Comment