Tuesday 15 October 2019

Uniting with family

I arrived back home yesterday after spending a long weekend (Friday through to Monday) with my brother and sister in law who live in Waiuku. I hadn’t seen them since my big girl was a baby, although my sister in law and I often chat over ‘messenger’. But there is nothing like being in the presence of people instead of over social media, although it certainly has its uses. I cannot rave about this weekend enough! I cried when I saw my brother, simply due to the emotion of seeing him after so long. He still has that quirky, cheeky grin which I just love. And my sister in law, she is just as I remembered her, has a quiet, placid aura around her with a lovely sense of humour. We talked like we had never been apart. The wonderful thing too was that I got to be reunited with my two nephews who were little boys when I last saw them and who now are family men in their forties! Both lovely young men whom I felt connected to immediately. I’m not too good with keeping regular contact with people, so that is something I need to work on. I am very keen for my girls to meet their cousins as well as their aunty and uncle. A visit before Christmas is definitely called for! I even found the drive good as gold. When I have thought of it previously, regardless of whom I would be visiting out that way, I have felt the drive is too far. Am I deliberately putting obstacles up in the way, or is it a case of giving myself time to adjust to doing something out of the norm. I’ve talked in previous posts about my lack of motivation and how I hope it is just a case of the winter blues and as we head into spring, and sunny days, I will feel more up to doing more. For instance, today I had ear marked going out for shopping for a particular item, but presently I don’t want to. I am happy lounging about. At least I know I have done it (the drive I mean), and it wasn’t as bad as I had perceived and its definitely do-able. That is a huge plus in my book!

And along with that, I have come home raving about this beautiful family and my heart feels full to bursting. Something I haven’t really felt in a long time.  My household has missed me, or some of them anyhow. The blimmin cats have been pretty much glued to me since I arrived home and of course both slept with me, ensuring they were touching me. Funny creatures!

I have today off work and go back tomorrow. It’ll be a super short week for me which is definitely do-able. Can’t believe how quickly time is getting by, its already he middle of yet another month. My sister flies over from Melbourne in the first week of December, for a week. It’ll be here before we know it, followed very quickly by Christmas and with a new year making its presence felt. With the new year comes my fourth anniversary of being ‘terminal’. Its such a dramatic word isn’t it. Yet people don’t understand what stage 4 is or what metastatic is. When I tell people I have stage 4 breast cancer, they will ask things like “so you’re in remission then? You’re cured now? I mean of course that is understandable. Unless you are in the medical profession or are dealing with something like this within your own personal life, you aren’t going to understand. So hence, to get my point across, I use the word ‘terminal’ but I always feel a bit of a drama queen...

Tuesday 15th October 2019 - 12.50pm


1 comment:

  1. It was awesome seeing you Aunty T and it would be lovely if you all came out during summer for a bbq.
    You talk about that instant connection, I know exactly what you mean by that.
    Not sure if you watch those shows like Missing Pieces when family members reunite... They all say they have that instant connection when reuniting, its hard to understand that until you feel it yourself. That's how I felt when I walked into Mums and saw you and it just felt right calling you Aunty T. Hopefully see you soon. ��

    ReplyDelete