Friday 8 May 2020

follow up dental appointment

I had my follow up appointment at Greenlane this afternoon after having x-rays etc taken of my jaw etc last Thursday. It was confirmed that the cause is from the zoladronic acid (zometa) infusions I have been regularly having to strengthen my bones. The condition is called ‘osteanecrosis’ of the jaw. The phosphate has worn the gum away to expose three separate parts of bone in my jaw. It will never be cured, but it can be hopefully managed with good oral health i.e. brushing teeth regularly, getting teeth cleaned regularly at the dentist (bi monthly preferrably) and using mouth wash a few times per day to kill off any bacteria which could be lurking. To be honest, I am bloody guttered. Only a small percentage get this condition and secondly, it is quite un-usual to get it in two separate parts of the mouth. But of course, I am the lucky one who gets all of it! And its a fear I have always had since starting the treatment. I guess because when I was younger, I never looked after my teeth properly and as I have gotten older, I have been paying for it. Both financially and pain wise. Its definitely feeling much better than last week, I was in such excruciating painbut now it only gives me a wee reminder from time to time, at about a 2/10 opposed to a 20/10 last week. Antibiotics for another two weeks as gums are still slightly swollen and another follow up in a couple of weeks time. Hopefully it all subsides soon. Pity the mouthwash doesn’t taste like bubblegum!

And so lock down continues as does the boredom. Sad state of affairs when you look forward to going to the doctors to have your hormone shot one day and the dentist the next...

I don’t know if I said this in my last post, but I am quite worried about returning to work once we’re given the green light. The rest of my department are all working from home and I’m the only one who isn’t working. I will be going from lazing around for so many weeks and getting up at any time of the day (after going to sleep any time of the night or following morning) to having to get up earlier, be at work by a certain time and then have to sit up for hours in an office chair (not to mention actually doing work). While I know I have the absolute and total support of my bosses at work, I still can’t help but worry at how it will take it out of me.  It doesn’t seem to matter how many days I drop down to or how short I make my work days, it is just never enough. Is it time to pull the plug on working? In some ways I think yes and in others, I think no. One thing the lockdown has taught me, is that it would be too much for me to stay home all the time. I guess its much like when someone retires, time needs to be filled up in some other way. But my other fear is money, or the lack of it. I’ve always worked and had my own money, apart from when I had the girls. Actually even then, I did work. I used to look after hubbys cousins two kids during the week days, and clean a Countdown supermarket 5 nights a week late in the evenings like from 9.30pm to 1.00am. It has to happen at some time...

Wonder if Monday will bring stage two of the lockdown. Will be good to have the choice of going out somewhere even if you don’t use it. Choice makes such a difference.

Friday 8th May 2020 - 1.23am

No comments:

Post a Comment